Internet Exchange Points
Packet Clearing House provides support both to Internet exchange facilities in the process of formation and to those that are already up and running. Although we supply the switching equipment that forms the technological core of exchanges, often our most valuable contribution is in the form of education, technical expertise, and mediation with policy and economic officials of the local government.
Some concrete examples of the support provided to Internet exchanges in the past year or two are the following:
- Donation of an IXP switch to St. John IXP (SJIX) in New Brunswick, in July 2018.
- Preparation of the 2017-2020 Strategic Plan for the Rwanda Internet Exchange (RINEX), between March and October 2017.
- Donation of networking equipment to the Kinshasa Internet Exchange (KINIX) in Democratic Republic of Congo (RDC), in Dec 2017.
- IXP Training Session in Zimbabwe that would lead to the formation of the Harare Internet Exchange, in November 2017.
- IXP Policy and Regulatory Session in Abidjan hosted by the Autorite des Regulations des Telecommunications de la Cote d'Ivoire (ARTCI), in August 2017.
As part of its research initiatives, PCH also maintains a directory of all Internet exchanges worldwide in the IXP Directory which currently has 979 IXPs in it: